Norbury Manor Primary School


Special Educational Needs change inclusion to SEN














The terms School Action, School Action plus and Statement will no longer apply.

Under the new Code, children with complex SEN will be given an Education Health Care plan (EHC plan). For some children this will mean being educated in specialist provision. Where it is felt these children can still be educated in a mainstream setting, the support outlined in the EHC plan will be provided by the school in collaboration with the Local Authority (LA).

It will be the school’s responsibility to provide for all other children with additional needs.

SEN will be categorised under four main headings: Communication and Interaction which includes Speech, Language and Communication needs and Autistic Spectrum Disorders, Cognition and Learning, including Specific learning Difficulties, Social, Emotional and Mental Health and Sensory Needs which are hearing and visual impairments.


The Code of Practice explains that once a potential SEN is identified, four types of action are needed to put effective support in place. These actions form part of a cycle through which decisions and actions are revisited, refined and revised with a growing understanding of the pupil’s needs and what supports the pupil to make good progress.

This process is known as the ‘graduated approach’. The four actions are:

  • Assess: the class teacher and SENCo/ SEN teacher should clearly analyse a pupil’s needs before identifying a child as needing SEN support
  • Plan: parents must be notified wherever it is decided that a pupil is to be provided with SEN support. Teachers, SENCo/SEN teacher and parents should collaborate on problem solving, planning support and strategies
  • Do: Implement the agreed support and set a date for review
  • Review: the effectiveness of the support should be reviewed in line with the agreed date


Stage of SEND Code of Practice: SEN Support














For some children this will mean they have been identified by the class teacher and/or Inclusion Manager as needing some extra support in school.

 For example this could mean:

  • He/ She may engage in group sessions (often called Intervention Groups) with specific targets to help him/her to make more progress, a Teaching Assistant/Teacher may run these small group sessions
  • Additional targeted support may also occur within the classroom or during break/lunchtime

This type of support is available for any child who has specific gaps in their understanding of a subject/area of learning.




What are the different types of support given?














Class teacher input via excellent targeted classroom teaching (also known as Quality First Teaching).
For your child this would mean:

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class
  • That all teaching is based on building on what your child already knows, can do and can understand
  • Different ways of teaching are in place so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning
  • Specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo or outside professionals) are in place to support your child to learn
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress
  • All children in school should be getting this as a part of excellent classroom practice when needed


For some children they may, despite receiving the above intervention, also require:

  • Outside professional involvement such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Education Psychology (EP)


For your child this could mean:

  • Your child will have been identified by the class teacher/Inclusion Manager (or you will have expressed concerns) as needing more specialist input in addition to quality first teaching and intervention groups
  • You will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward
  • You will be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to an outside professional. This will help both home and the school understand your child’s needs and be able to support them further


The outside professionals will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:

  • Suggesting changes to the way your child is supported in class
  • Suggest targets which will include their professional expertise
  • A group run by school staff, under the guidance of the outside professional
  • Some group or individual work with outside professional
  • The school may suggest that your child needs some specific individual support. They will inform you what support your child is receiving and the progress that happens

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.


SEN Support with an EHC Plan / Statements of SEN














Children who currently have Statements will move over to an EHC Plan by 2017.

This means your child will have been identified by the class teacher/SENCo as needing a particularly high level of individual or small group teaching (usually more than 20 hours a week), which cannot be provided from the budget available to the school.

Usually your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school.

This may be from:

  • Outside professional involvement such as the Speech and Language therapy (SALT) Service or Education Psychology (EP)

 For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support already provided
  • After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and long term. If this is the case they will write an EHC Plan. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the support in place, or make additional suggestions
  • The EHC Plan will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the LA, how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child
  • An additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child


How can I let the school know I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?












  • If you have concerns about your child’s progress you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.
  • If you are not happy that the concerns are being managed and that your child is still not making progress you should speak to the Sonia Potter or email
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the Headteacher










How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?












If your child is then identified as not making progress the class teacher will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:

  • listen to any concerns you may have
  • suggest any additional support your child may require
  • make suggestions as to how you could further support your child at home
  • refer you to the SENCo if necessary






Who are the other people providing services to children with an SEN in this school?












 Directly funded by the school:

  • Learning Mentor
  • Teaching Assistants in various interventions


Paid for centrally by the Local Authority but delivered in school:

  • Educational Psychology Service
  • Speech and Language Therapy (provided by Health but paid for by the Local Authority)
  • Behaviour Support Service


Provided and paid for by the Health Service but delivered in school:

  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy


How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?













  • Class Teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class, to ensure that every child’s needs are met
  • Specially trained support staff can adapt the teachers planning to support the needs of your child where necessary
  • Specific resources and strategies could be used to support your child individually and in groups
  • Planning and teaching could be adapted on a daily basis if needed to meet your child’s learning needs






How will we measure the progress of your child in school?













  • Your child’s progress is continually monitored by his/her class teacher
  • His/her progress is reviewed formally every term and a National Curriculum level given in reading, writing and maths
  • If your child is in Year 1 and above, but is not yet at National Curriculum levels, they will be assessed using ‘P levels’
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6) all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and the results are published nationally
  • Children with SEN Support will have an Additional Support Plan (Pen Portrait) which will be reviewed, with your involvement, every term and the plan for the next term made
  • The progress of children with a statement of SEND/ EHC Plan is formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education
  • The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work and in any group that they take part in


How will we support your child when they are leaving this school? OR moving on to another class?











We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is as smooth as possible.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We may contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible

When moving classes in school:

  • nformation will be passed on to the new class teacher. All EHC plans/ Pen Portraits will be shared with the new teacher
  • Other strategies may be used to ensure your child is comfortable and ready for the transition

In Year 6:

  • The SENCo will attend the relevant Primary Transition meetings to discuss the specific needs of your child with their secondary school.
  • Your child will undertake a transition programme
  • Where possible your child will visit their new school and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school


To see our latest school Offer report and SEN policy please click on the link below

Show list Show Grid

The Croydon local offer for SEN can be found by clicking here.

To see the new SEN Code of Guidance 2014, please click here.